Natasja Saad died in a car crash in Jamaica earlier this year, aged just 32. Natasja had a Danish mother and Sudanese father and was born and raised in Denmark. She started DJing at an early age and eventually made a career both as a rapper and then as a reggae singer. In 2006 she won a reggae talent competition in Jamaica, presumably the first Danish-Sudanese person to do do! She had always recorded in English, but had recorded her first CD in Danish before she died. Released at the end of September, I Danmark er jeg født (I was born in Denmark) debuted at number 2 in the Danish charts. The latest single, Gi' mig Danmark tilbage (I want Denmark back), is for me one of the musical highlights of 2007. You may need to understand Danish and know a bit about the country's politics to fully appreaciate it, but maybe not. To sum it up very briefly, Natasja is not very happy about the conservative direction Danish society has taken and wants to go back to the free-thinking liberal days of yore.Here's one of her English (yes it is, really) tracks, Calabria, a collaboration with Enur.
3 comments:
I'm fairly enamored of what I've heard of Natasja lately. Have you listened to the whole I Danmark er jeg født album? Would it be worth purchasing?
Have I ever told you you have great taste? Both of you! ;)
hehe....and to answer your question Carly, no. Just a few tracks, but the others aren't as good as the two here, although are far from bad!
Post a Comment