16 April 2007

Next-door neighbour, mother and saviour

The Ark have been around for a good few years now. For those not in the know (where have you been btw?!), they're a Swedish sextet who hover somewhere between pop, glamrock and rock (and with a recent dose of schlager). They also have some great witty and intelligent lyrics courtesy of lead singer Ola Salo's pen.

The group's fourth CD, Prayer For The Weekend, has just been released and is, frankly, very good indeed. Actually, it's better than that. It's FAB! Loads of trademark catchy Swedish choruses and abovementioned cool lyrics. If I may, let me quote what must be one of the best middle eights in history (please stop me if I'm getting carried away). From Death To The Martyrs:

"Now you are so grand
You claim you built the fundaments on which I stand
You are the man
But you prefer the gentle fan I was before
But now it's time to be unkind, to speak my mind
And if you ask why I'm so blunt
It's cos I care for you, you cunt
You're no longer wild at heart
You're just a boring junky fart
And if you really wanna die, alright
Then die then you old tart"

Gosh.

So here are two songs from the album, neither of them the strongest on offer, but they're the ones on Youtube so far :-) The first single Absolutely No Decorum, and the second, their Eurovision entry (yes, they really are doing Eurovision) The Worrying Kind.

3 comments:

Catherine said...

'They also have some great witty and intelligent lyrics'

On the other hand, they also have 'I'm just a silly old boy with my head in the can', so take your pick :)

Roger said...

Hehe, well I guess no one's perfect. I choose to concentrate on the positive :)

carly said...

And its too bad the ESC song is so schlager-fied. Bastards. Once again, Sweden fails to live up to my expectations.

But that's ok, I'll always have Hungary. Lovely, lovely Magdi.