Don't worry I haven't given up on the blog just yet :-) But I've had The Ark's CD on constant repeat most of the week so blame them for not letting me hear anything else!Therefore I'll take this opportunity to turn the clock back 10 years and see what was number one in Norway in April 1997. And rather happily it was a Nordic song. Indeed, a Norwegian song. Tromsø boy Espen Lind was the wonderboy of Norwegian pop at the time and even managed to score a hit in Germany with this song. I'm not usually one for soppy ballads, but I really love this one. Espen is in fact one of the finest pop composers in Norway, but apart from this song has not had as much success as he really deserves, what with Norwegians being a bit wary of all things commercial. That said, he did have the biggest selling album of 2006, a live concert recording along with three other blokes with guitars. You see, that's what it takes for Norwegians to pay attention - a guitar. If you have a guitar it means you're a real musician! Apparently.
Espen has also co-written some rather good songs for others. These for example.
4 comments:
Espen Lind...I keep meaning to look into more of his work; the only songs of his I know are "When Susannah Cries" and his duet with Sissel (which is the only song of hers I know). If he's "one of the finest pop composers in Norway," maybe investing in an album or two is required! :)
And I would say I didn't know he'd written that Kym Marsh song, but I don't think I'd even heard anything by her before :-/ It's very good!
I was gonna lambast you for saying that song by Atomic Kitten was good. But then I saw Liz strutting along sie the River Mersey, looking at Liverpool, which means she was actually on my little peninsula! So now I love the song like the fickle Wirralian I am :))
Espen's best album is probably Red, which is the one with Susannah on. But his 2005 CD April is good too.
Dan: About 30 seconds after I published that, I thought: Crikey! I just said an AK song was good :-D
I do like Espen music, since this song... his 2001 album "This Is Pop Music" is pretty cool too! =]
Post a Comment